Friday, September 21, 2012

Upcycled Beer Bottles! Part 1.

Hello friends. I apologize beforehand for any typos that may commence... there is a cricket in my computer room. Crickets are evil spawn, and tend to try and jump on me. Which will result in me running away and screaming and this blog post not getting finished. I shall persevere!

Ok, tonight kiddies, I shall show you how to Upcycle some beer bottles! This is going to be a multi blog thing. I have done quite a few different things with beer bottles and soda bottles, I wanna show you guys the potential awesomeness you may have sitting in your fridge!

I sort of have an unlimited supply of beer bottles. The guys I work with always drink after work, and they have started saving them for me. They told me I could probly have about 80 bottles every week. I declined and said i'd take about a dozen every two weeks. SO many bottles...

I shall start with painted bottles. I have some college sport themed bottle all finished and ready to be sold. Since I'm an Okie I chose out two major colleges, Oklahoma State University (Go Pokes), and Oklahoma University. Lets get this tailgate party started yo!

Supplies needed:

  • Beer Bottles
  • Spray Paint (your choice of colors, I chose Orange and Maroon)
  • Puff Paint (various colors)
  • Xacto blades



Step One:
If your bottles have labels on them soak them in hot water for about and hour if you want to keep the labels intact. If you don't care about your labels then an xacto knife will work wonders. Take the blade and just scrape all that paper and goo right off. Beer bottle labels arent very sticky, so they come off super easy.
I find that the blade pictured below is the best. Its a flat edge blade and just does the job great.




P.S. You will have a messy clean up, so you might want to get a box or bag and do this over.
The destroyed labels!

Step 2:
Now take your naked bottles and go outside. Ha! Yea, you gotta actually go outside for this project.
Take your spray paint with you, and a little box or paper plate to sit these things on.
Once outside, take a look around. Enjoy the scenery. Fresh air... cause one you start spray painting it'll get smelly.Take your bottle and spray away.
You can either stick a finger in it, sit it on block or box, or get a stick and stick in it. I used a cinder block. I used two types of spray paint, one had primer the other did not. I love the primer based paints. 

The orange spray paint took many coats, I ended up doing about 3-4. So I suggest either getting a spray with a primer, or using a primer. 
Let these bottles dry till they aren't tacky. I shouldn't take very long, 30-45 mins.

>>Inside Step: Step 2.5
I also did a few "house divided" bottles. Which required me to paint them two colors. I got some painters tape out and halfed the bottle.  

After you spray the first color take the tape off immediately. I've figured out that if you leave it on there to dry with it, it will take paint with it. So, wait for the spray paint to dry, half it again with tape, and spray away. It was easier than I actually thought it was gonna be.

Here are the bottles all pretties up and painted.

Step 3:
Now onto the puff paint! I used white puff paint for the maroon, and black for the orange. On the orange bottles I wrote out "OSU" & "OSU Cowboys". On the maroon bottles I wrote "OU" & "OU Sooners". With the half/half bottles I drew a line down the center since it wasn't exactly clean, and wrote "House Divided" on side, and OU/OSU on the other. This really is a simple process. I debated on putting some polky dots on them but decided to not over work them.

Viola!
And there ya have it, college sport beer bottles! Seriously simple for a lazy crafter. :D

Other various yarn up-cycle project involve floor wax, yarn, glitter, hot glue, crayons, candles, and fire. Not in that order though! So be on the look out for some pretty awesome recycling ideas!

If you have any requests or neat things to do with bottles let me know! Comment away. I love feedback... the good kind anyways. :D 

See ya guys! I'm off to gorge on Lord of the Rings Blu-ray goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment