Monday, September 10, 2012

Geometric Painting


In October, a friend & I are going to have a booth at acraft festival. Last year we had crocheted hats, scarves, gloves headbands, andother crocheted things. That was a pain in the butt to do. We decided to dothat only a month before, and had very little time to prepare… plus we kinda procrastinated a little. She did more than me really. This year, we decided tohave an eclectic group of stuff ranging from bottle cap necklaces to lace jars,from hand crafted paintings to crocheted owl hats. We both have gotten a recentobsession with crafts, so much so we agreed to do another craft fair after thePumpkin festival! Hopefully they both will be successful enough that we keep ondoing craft shows and not go bankrupt. Though with both being right beforeChristmas, the left overs do make good Christmas presents. Welp, onto the howto show!

Alrighty, let’s start with something easy, a geometricpainting.

Supplies:
  • Canvas (Your choice of size, I used a 16x20)
  • Acrylic Paint -various colors-
  • Painters Tape
  • Xacto Blade
  • Paint brushes




     First off do a base coat of what color you want the outlines to be. I chose a metallic gold. Please note, I bought this color about a year ago and let it sit for that long… don’t do that. All the gold went to the bottom and left a silvery gunk at the top. I had to shake and stir that sucker for a good 15 mins. But here is what it eventually came out looking like on canvas.




Yea, not that great. So I applied two more coats and itresulted in thisà



Once again, not that wonderful. So I put another two coats on it and let it dry, which took about an hour. So I decided to go get some Chinese food from a neighboring town. They have the best Chinese food around. Wongs is the name. See, Chinese food =


     Once the gold paint was dry and the food thoroughly devouredI taped off the shapes I wanted. I used 1inch painters tape and cut down themiddle with my Xacto knife, I did a couple round of the cutting, wasn’t surehow much I was going to need. I started with two big lines starting at the topleft corner and ending on opposite sides of the bottom right corner, in atriangle “V” shape. Then I just proceeded to just tape, tape, tape till I gotthe desired amount of triangles and rhombus’s.



     Now, I took my gold paint out again and painted along theedges of the tape. This created a seal and prevented any bleeding that thecolors might have done. Which is a wonderful thing, a co-worker told me aboutthis method and he is an utter genius.



     I didn’t feel the need to paint the entire canvas gold againsince it already had multiple layers.
After that layer of gold dried I whipped out some colors! I chose Yellow,purple, pink, orange, red, dark blue, teal, dark green, light green, and whiteto fill in the spaces. I waited till it all dried and just went crazy pealingthe tape off. That was kinda fun. And here is the result:



    I was surprisingly pleased with this. The way the gold makesall the colors pop is awesome. I was amazed that all the colors actually workedtogether and didn’t clash horribly. I will be selling this at the Pumpkin Festival,hopefully someone will buy it. I won’t be too sad if I have to keep it though.
Sorry for the lack of a picture of the final gold resultwithout the tape, and the missing “in process” shots of the colors. I getcaught up in the project and I totally forget to take pictures. I’ll try and dobetter next time.

Also, I would like to add that for the base coat, it might not be a bad idea to use spray paint with a primer. Should be quicker and much more simpler. I'm all about the simple and easy.

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised I actually posted all this. Probably plenty of typos but meh, this is a trial and error type of thing.
Thanks for reading! Craft hard people!

2 comments:

  1. " I did more than she really. " What?!!??? You done lost your mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh balls! I ment that the other way around! My bad. I'll change it.

    ReplyDelete